The Hartung Boothroyd Observatory
Photo courtesy Justin Zoll, email@example.com
The Hartung-Boothroyd Observatory is located off the Cornell campus, atop Mount Pleasant. It is used mainly as a teaching facility for
upper-level astronomy classes. The observatory is named in honor of M. John Hartung '08 (chemical industrialist) and
Samuel L. Boothroyd
(professor and chairman of astronomy 1921–1942). The telescope construction began in the
1930s and the observatory was dedicated in 1974. It contains the James R. Houck 25-inch telescope
and various instruments.
The telescope, control electronics and instruments are largely the result of work done by Cornell undergraduates since 1970.
The telescope mount was designed as a senior project by George E. Gull '72
. It was manufactured by the students at the
Tompkins, Tioga and Seneca BOCES and by Therm, Inc.
, with mirror coatings by
Evaporated Metal Films
corporation, all in Ithaca.
The observatory was founded by James Houck
and managed by him through 2006. The principal contact is Don Barry
, who has managed the facility from 2006 onwards.
"Graduates" of the HBO project are now senior engineers and technical managers as well as graduate students, research associates and faculty at major universities.
Map to HBO
: 42°27′29.61″ N, 76°23′04.59″ W Elevation
: 1753 ft = 534 m Observatory Code